Happy Monday Everyone! How was everyone’s weekend?! I’m excited to share these spinach, goat cheese, and lentil patties with you today.
It already feels like we’re deep into winter in Virginia. I literally have tears down my face because of the wind and it’s not even officially winter. I’m so excited to escape the cold for a few days next week in Mexico. Some friends, my sister, and I are going for a week right before Christmas and New Year’s. Work is going to be hectic from January to March so this trip is perfect timing.
My manager hosted a cookie exchange part yesterday and I had so much fun trying all the different desserts everyone bought. The best ones were probably the crinkle cookies, the peanut butter fudge… basically anything with chocolate in it. I made the oatmeal cookies from our first post and they came out delicious! I’m considering having my own cookie exchange when I get back from Mexico. One of my friends is having a secret santa party so maybe we can incorporate it into that!
Anyway, after all the sweets I thought a light Sunday dinner would be a good idea. We made lentil, spinach, and goat cheese patties. They are SO easy to make and very easily varied. You can switch up the greens to what you have on hand (maybe kale instead of spinach) or use feta cheese instead of goat cheese. We ate the patties with some couscous, roasted carrots, tomatoes, and cabbage. But you can really eat these with anything. They’d even taste good on some naan with hummus and more veggies on top, if you wanted to make a bigger, burger sized patty.
They keep well in the fridge for a few days too, so perfect for adding to a salad for lunch during the work week.
Hope you enjoy the recipe! 🙂
- 1 cup red split lentils
- 1 cup packed baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (plus more for frying)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup (approximately 2.5 oz.) goat cheese
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- Boil the lentils for about 10 minutes until they are soft but can still hold their shape. Drain and rinse, making sure to get all of the water out before combining with other ingredients.
- In a food processor, mix the lentils, spinach, garlic, seasonings, and olive oil, and mix until everything is fully incorporated.
- Add in the flour and mix again until incorporated.
- Then take out the mixture and put it into a bowl (you can keep it in the food processor but I think it's easier to do in a bowl) and fold in the cheese and the oats.
- Chill for about 20 minutes.***
- Heat some olive oil in a pan until warm and place patties into the oil for about 1-2 minutes on each side so they crisp up.
- Serve over salad, quinoa, couscous, in a sandwich, etc.
- *** Chilling in the fridge for 20 minutes isn't necessary; I just find it easier to work with the mixture when it's cooler.